Gordon Croft is a longtime supporter of Charles County Public Schools and students and families who reside in southern Charles County. Mr. Croft has endowed nine scholarships for eligible Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) students. Each scholarship is administered by the college, with the admissions and financial aid staff selecting the recipient(s) from among students who meet specific eligibility criteria, including financial need.
To be eligible for the Croft Scholarship awards, students must reside in the southern Charles County, south of Route 225 from La Plata to Indian Head and south of Route 6 from La Plata to the St. Mary’s County line, as well as students residing in La Plata and Indian Head. Students who reside in this defined area and demonstrate financial need are eligible to apply. Students can check their eligibility with their College and Career Advisor.
- The Croft Charles County Scholarships provide annual tuition scholarships for students at the University of Maryland, College Park who demonstrate financial need. Students must enroll in the A. James Clark School of Engineering. There are three scholarships available and amounts range from $7,500 to $9,000 per year:
- The two College of Southern Maryland Croft Scholarships were established in 2000 and provide tuition scholarships to students who demonstrate financial need. Awards are up to $2,200 per year for each of the two scholarships.
- The Russell Croft ’96 Scholarship provides tuition scholarships to students who demonstrate financial need and who physically attend the Lexington, Va. campus. The scholarship awards up to $9,000 per year.
- The Jane Aurell Croft Scholarship provides tuition scholarships to students who demonstrate financial need. The scholarship awards up to $8,000 per year. The scholarship is awarded by the Director of Financial Planning and Assistance.
- The Russell Gordon Croft Southern Charles County Scholarship provides a tuition scholarship to students who demonstrate financial need. The scholarship awards up to $12,000 per year.
- The Croft Scholarship Award provides a tuition scholarship to students at Dartmouth who demonstrate financial need. The scholarship awards up to $10,000 per year. Contact the Dartmouth financial aid office for details.
- Dartmouth is an Ivy League school that adheres to a need-blind admissions process– if you are granted admission your financial needs will be worked out.
- Students who have the academic qualifications could apply to other Ivy League schools, all of which are need-blind: Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University.
It is important for children in elementary school and middle school to recognize that there are scholarships available for them when they get to their junior and senior years in high school. This will provide an incentive for them to work harder from elementary school onward as they will know that these endowed scholarships are available now, and when they graduate, and into perpetuity.
Questions about the college planning process? Contact the college and career advisor at your child’s school or Jacqueline Cheaves, supervising school counselor for Charles County Public Schools, at:
5980 Radio Station Road
P.O. Box 2770
La Plata, Maryland 20646