Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) encourages community members to nominate parents for the Maryland Parent Involvement Matters Award (PIMA). The State Department of Education (MSDE) annually recognizes parents and legal guardians who foster communicating, volunteering, learning, collaborating with the community and decision making within their community.
To be eligible for the Maryland Parent Involvement Matters Award, nominees must:
- be a parent, which includes a natural parent, an adoptive parent, a legal guardian, a person acting as a parent of a child such as a relative or stepparent with whom a child lives, or any other person primarily responsible for the child’s welfare;
- have a child in a Charles County public school;
- not be an employee of Charles County Public Schools, any Maryland public school or the Maryland State Department of Education (any person who is paid by a school or by the school system is not eligible to be nominated);
- have conducted or participated in the project for which he/she is nominated within the last 24 months; and
- not be a previous semifinalist, finalist or state winner.
Nominations are due Friday, Jan. 31. Materials should be sent to Maryland State Department of Education, Office of Communications, Partnerships, and Grants, 7Th Floor, ATTN: PIMA, 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Md., 21201. Nominations must be sent by mail and are not accepted online or by email. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
Nomination forms and more information on the award can be found at
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,500 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 35 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Dr. Patricia Vaira, Title IX Coordinator and Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Connie W. Armstead, Section 504 Coordinator (employees/adults), at Charles County Public Schools, central office building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, Maryland 20646. 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.