||Principal, Charles County Public Schools, North Point High School for Science, Technology and Industry, Waldorf, Md.
||Principal, North Point High School for Science, Technology and Industry, Charles County Public Schools, Md., 2007-present; Vice Principal, North Point High School, 2005-2007; Coordinator, Charles County Career and Technology Center, Charles County Public Schools, 1998-2005; Vice Principal, Maurice J. McDonough High School, Charles County Public Schools, 1993-1998; Social Studies Teacher, Maurice J. McDonough High School, 1986-1993.
||Ms. Hill earned a Bachelor of Arts in political science and history from High Point University in North Carolina, and a Master of Education in Educational Leadership from the University of Maryland, College Park. She is a doctoral candidate in Educational Leadership and Policy at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
|Mrs. Hill is available to meet with community groups to listen to ideas about Charles County Public Schools. Contact Christine Mais, 301-934-7320 or email@example.com, to schedule a time for your group to meet with Mrs. Hill to engage in thoughtful discussions about how to work together for the benefit of the children of our county.
Superintendent’s Plan: THE FIRST 90 DAYS
Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) is a high performing, innovative school district. Our students are exposed to a wide variety of programs and activities to stimulate their curiosity and nurture their minds. Students in Charles County are surrounded by cutting edge technology and dedicated, hardworking teachers who are committed to their success. From award winning STEM programs to a reading program that levels the playing field for all children, CCPS is a leader in public education. We have so much to be proud of, yet we have so much more to accomplish. It is important for us to celebrate our successes while constantly looking for ways to build upon them. This 90 day action plan provides an outline for where we can begin. It is important to understand that this plan will need to be reviewed and updated to include stakeholder input. The community forum phase of the superintendent selection process provides the opportunity to hear from various stakeholder groups to understand their views on the state of education in Charles County. It is imperative to hear their voices and to include their ideas about how to continue to move forward in service to our students.
Click below each section to view.
- The journey begins with a focus on the destination....
The vision of Charles County Public Schools is to create the best environment where
all students experience academic success, develop personal responsibility and
achieve career readiness for the 21st century. Unsurpassed student achievement
is the ultimate goal of our school district, and we are committed to measuring
student success one student at a time.
- How do we accomplish these goals?
- What challenges will we face?
- What action steps can you expect from your new superintendent?
This plan is designed to provide a framework for the first 90 days of my tenure
as your superintendent. It will serve as a foundation for the important work
that lies ahead of us. At the conclusion of this 90 day period, I will have
learned a lot about student achievement, our district culture, stakeholder
engagement and organizational efficiency and will be ready to report those
findings to you. The five over-arching goals that will guide our first 90 days
are listed below. Each broad goal features action steps to provide detail
to the goal statement.
- Goal 1: Unsurpassed student achievement.
- We must concentrate all of our efforts to ensure that our students graduate
high school prepared for success in college or in a career. Every Charles
County Public School student deserves a rigorous, relevant education that
focuses on problem solving, critical thinking, collaborating, and
communication daily during instruction.
- Analyze student achievement data to understand patterns and gaps.
- Align our curriculum to Common Core standards and implement it
uniformly across schools.
- Assess training needs for teachers.
- Evaluate the vertical alignment of the instructional program and its
- Identify chronically underperforming schools and determine
appropriate action steps.
- Evaluate expectations for student achievement and support teacher
training in providing scaffolding and differentiation to close achievement
- Goal 2: Establish a positive, student-centered district culture where decisions are based on teaching and learning.
It is imperative that we articulate the message that we need to nurture
relationships and put children first. Everyone must believe in their ability
to be the difference in a child’s life. We must “walk the walk”. Every
employee must recognize their vital role in achieving the goals of our
school district. I will meet individually with every principal in his/her
school building in the first 30 days to assess needs by asking questions
- What are your strengths and challenges as a school leader?
- How can you be supported in developing your skills as a school
- What methods do you use to create high expectations for your
students and staff?
- How can the central office support these efforts?
- What do you need to make your school the highest performing
school in our district?
- Goal 3: Invest in stakeholder trust and confidence through honest and transparent communication and decision making.
It is important to engage parents and community leaders as partners
in achieving the goals of our school district. I will establish relationships
with community leaders in civic, faith based and governmental
organizations to solicit their input in achieving the goals of CCPS.
Meetings will be held with these leaders in their offices during the
first 30 days. The following questions will guide these conversations:
- What do you see as the strengths of CCPS?
- What are the challenges of our school district?
- During these difficult budgetary times, what do you see as the
priorities for CCPS?
- What are your views on the current use of technology in our
- How can we work together to meet the challenges that lie ahead?
As your superintendent, I will advocate for our school district and
take advantage of opportunities to improve the image of CCPS in
our own community. We will assess the effectiveness of internal
and external communication and we will continue to utilize
technology to communicate with our stakeholders.
- Goal 4: Strategically align the organization to optimize effectiveness and efficiency to provide outstanding service to our schools.
Employee engagement is essential in identifying ways to improve
our service to schools and children. Meetings will be held with each
member of the executive staff and each division leader individually
during the first 30 days to ascertain their division’s role in the
organization by asking the following questions:
- How do you view the role of central office?
- What role does your division play in supporting instruction?
- What suggestions do you have for improving the operation
of our central office?
- What are the needs of your division, and how would you
prioritize them during tight budgetary times?
- How can the use of technology improve what you do and
how you do it?
A review will take place of the current structure of the central
office to maximize operational efficiency and the effective use
of technology. The goal will be to consolidate and streamline
similar functions as appropriate. Executive team positions will
be filled as required. We will build a culture of high expectations
for positive attitude and professionalism in our pursuit of
unsurpassed student achievement.
- Goal 5: Establish a relationship of trust and collaboration between the superintendent and the Board.
A collaborative trusting relationship between the Board and the
superintendent is vital to our success as a school district. We
must work together to keep children at the center of our decisions
and to make progress as a district.
- Meet individually and in groups with Board members to
create and build positive and trusting relationships and to
learn about each member’s priorities for CCPS.
- Learn about previous norms for communication and together
determine opportunities for change.
- Schedule regular meetings with the Board chairman to
review issues, meeting agendas and concerns.
- Attend various community events with Board members.
- Energize leaders...Empower teachers...Enlighten community...Engage students!
Beginning July 1...
On my first day as superintendent, I will visit several divisions
that are critical to the successful opening of the 2013-2014
school year. These visits will include Supporting Services,
Human Resources, School Administration and Instruction.
During the first 30 days I will visit with each school principal,
meet with community stakeholders and Board members.
Within the first 60 days, I will meet with student and parent
groups. On the first day of school for students, I will visit
schools and enjoy the excitement and energy of a new
school year. I will also meet with executive staff to evaluate
the quality of our opening and determine whether or not
improvements are needed. At the conclusion of my first 90
days in office, I will have learned a lot about our school
district through my interactions with our internal and external
stakeholders, and will be ready to report to you my findings.
We face tremendous challenges as we implement the educational
reforms that are taking place in our state. Among these are:
implementing the Common Core State Standards, adding student
growth measures to our teacher and principal evaluation
systems, and implementing new assessments under the Partnership
for Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC).
As we face these significant challenges, we must rely upon our
greatest asset – our people. I am a strong believer in Margaret
Mead’s statement that we should “Never doubt that a small group
of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world.” I am
committed to the strength of our people and their ability to be
the difference in the life of a child. As superintendent, I will
invest in our employees through research based training and
a renewed commitment to their professional development.
I will solicit their input for the improvement of our school district.
When filling vacant positions, I will hire the brightest, most
qualified child centered people available, and will hold them
accountable for results. Together, we will:
Energize our leaders … Empower our teachers …
Enlighten our community … Engage our students!
This basic philosophy will inform my actions as we pursue the
goals of this 90 day plan.
Click here to download a pdf copy of Superintentent's Plans: THE FIRST 90 DAYS
Kimberly Hill named next Superintendent of Charles County Public Schools
Read the Superintendent's contract (2013-2017)
Superintendent-to-be Hill ready for new challenge