Dec 22, 2014 4:15:55 PM Charles County Public SchoolsAbout This Site | Contact Us | Home | RSS


School Registration

How to register

All children entering Charles County Public Schools must have the following:

  1. A physical examination by a physician or a certified practitioner
    (Physicals must be completed between nine months prior to and six months after entering school.)

  2. Proof of required immunizations against communicable diseases
    (A DHMH896 Form showing the required immunizations can be obtained at any school.)

  3. Proof that the student has completed the grade prior to the one in which the parent is seeking enrollment, such as a report card marked promoted.

  4. Child's birth certificate or other acceptable proof of birth (e.g. passport/visa; physician's certificate; baptismal or church certification; hospital certificate; or birth registration).
    (If the child was born in Maryland, a copy of his/her birth certificate can be purchased from the Charles County Health Department. Call 301-609-6900.)

  5. Two proofs of residency 
    *Note-Parent(s)/guardian(s) are responsible for promptly notifying the school system of any change in address. Failure to do so may result in the student being immediately transferred to the school zoned for the student's correct address.

Acceptable Proofs of Residency*- Proofs must be current within 30-45 days of registration:

  • Deed
  • Current  signed verifiable lease or rental agreement (with signatures of both parties)
  • Current utility bill (complete with name and address)
  • Statement of Residence Verification form accompanied by two acceptable proofs of residency for the owner/lessee of the property
  • Ratified purchase contract and letter with settlement date
  • Property tax bill for domicile (not assessment)
  • Most recent property insurance bill
  • Current pay check with name and address
  • Property title record
  • Current court document with name, date, and home address
  • Current government issued documents that include name, date, and home address such as documentation of benefits from Social Security Administration
  • Written documentation of home visit by a pupil personnel worker

*Note - Any proof of residency, bill, or other document must be in its entirety with parent/guardian name and both the residence/service address as well as the mailing address including city, state, and current date.

Unacceptable Proofs of Residency:

  • Drivers License
  • Voter Registration
  • Car Registration
  • Credit card statement/bill
  • Cellular or telephone bill
  • General mail, advertising mail, mail to occupant
  • Any mail/bills with no resident named and/or address
  • P.O. Box addresses and no street or road address
  • Lot numbers and property numbers
  • Termination of service notices
  • Deeds, titles, or tax bills to property with no dwelling on it. The property must be lived on by the party to qualify as a residence
  • Letters or notes from individuals other than a staff pupil personnel worker or school administrator, whether notarized or not

6. Students who are transferring from another school in Maryland should also have a copy of the Student Record Card 7 that is completed by the sending school. The Student Record Card 7 is also called the Maryland Student Withdrawal/Transfer Record.


Planning to move

Families planning to move into Charles County within the first quarter of the school year may enroll their children in Charles County Public Schools with special permission from the Department of Student Services.  The family must notify the school when they complete the move.   Students may be required to transfer to their zoned school, withdraw from the school system, or pay tuition on a per diem basis if the family does not move by the agreed upon date.[top]


All children must attend school in the county where the children's parent(s)/legal guardian(s) reside.


Students Entering from Non-US Schools

Students entering from schools outside of the United States must begin the registration process at the Department of Student Services in the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building. Please call 301-934-7334 for an appointment. 


Students Entering from Parent Teaching/Home Schooling

Students entering from instruction by the parent (home schooling) must begin the enrollment process at the Robert D. Stethem Educational Center. Please call 301-932-1003 for an appointment.  


Prekindergarten & Kindergarten

To enter prekindergarten for the 2013-14 school year, a child must be four years old by Sept. 1. To be eligible for kindergarten for the 2013-14 school year, a child must be five years old on or before Sept. 1.


Early Entrance

Where to register

Registration for in-county students is completed at the individual schools. To find out what school your child is zoned for visit the School Locator Website, where you can type in an address to see the elementary, middle and high school zoned for that address. If after completing this process you have additional questions about school zones, contact the Department of Student Services at 301-934-7326. To register a child who is moving to the area, please contact the Department of Student Services.



Contact the Department of Student Services at 301-934-7326 or 301-870-3814, ext. 7326, or visit us at 5980 Radio Station Road, La Plata, Maryland, 20646.


Registration Links


©1995-2013 Charles County Public Schools
5980 Radio Station Road | P.O. Box 2770 | La Plata, MD 20646
301-932-6610 | 301-870-3814 | TTY: 301-392-7579 | Info Line: 301-932-6656

Nondiscrimination Statement | Privacy Policy | ADA/Section 508 | Website Feedback MSDE  |  Site Map