Nov 23, 2014 8:05:50 AM Charles County Public SchoolsAbout This Site | Contact Us | Home | RSS
 



 

Public Information & Media

What's In A Name?

Henry E. Lackey High School

Established 1918, Opened 1969

Born in Norfolk, Va., on June 23, 1876, Rear Admiral Henry Ellis Lackey served in the United States Navy and was a principal figure in the town of Indian Head. He encouraged the development and growth of the community throughout the early 1900s. Lackey was appointed to the Naval Academy by the President of the United States in 1895. Throughout his career in the military, he served as a crew member and captain on numerous ships.

In 1927, after Charles Lindbergh flew over the Atlantic Ocean to Paris, he returned to the United States aboard the USS Memphis. Lackey was the commanding officer. Additionally, Lackey served in the Spanish American War. Lackey had served 41 years in the military by the time of his retirement in 1940.

During Lackey's commission at Indian Head, he helped develop the town into a place where people could feel a sense of belonging and security. Lackey urged the military to build a school to accommodate the influx of people into the region. A year after the school opened in 1918, it was named after Lackey. Originally named Lackey High School, students and citizens successfully lobbied the Board of Education to officially change the school's name to Henry E. Lackey High School in 2001.

Source: Article from the Independent and a June 1995 issue of Lackey Pride, a quarterly newsletter to the Lackey community.

ABOUT US | BOARD OF EDUCATION | CALENDARS | DEPARTMENTS | INCLEMENT WEATHER
PARENTS & COMMUNITY | PUBLIC INFORMATION & MEDIA | SCHOOLS & CENTERS | STAFF SERVICES | STUDENTS

©1995-2013 Charles County Public Schools
5980 Radio Station Road | P.O. Box 2770 | La Plata, MD 20646
301-932-6610 | 301-870-3814 | TTY: 301-392-7579 | Info Line: 301-932-6656

Nondiscrimination Statement | Privacy Policy | ADA/Section 508 | Website Feedback MSDE  |  Site Map