The Board of Education's next monthly meeting is Tuesday, Sept. 11, at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building on Radio Station Road in La Plata. The public portion of the meeting begins at 1 p.m. The meeting is televised live on Comcast Channel 96 and Verizon FiOS Channel 12, and is rebroadcast throughout the week. Board meetings are also streamed live on the school system website at http://www2.ccboe.com/boe/live/.
Executive session – 12 p.m.
Call to order – 1 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance – Henry E. Lackey High School's JROTC unit
Reports of officers/boards/committees
- Maryland Association of Boards of Education (MABE) update
- Superintendent's update to the board
- Correspondence/board member updates
- Education Association of Charles County update
- Student board member's update
- Opening of schools
- Capital Improvement Program (CIP) update
- Report item: FY 2013 Comprehensive Maintenance Plan
- Gifted and talented education policy
- Gifted and talented education month resolution
- Policy #5171.1 – Epi-pens
New business and Future agenda items
- New business
- Resolution for MABE
- Future agenda items
- Truth Chapter No. 19, Order of the Eastern Star, Prince Hall Affiliated
- FY 2014 CIP state and local CIP program
- Redistricting policies
- Recurring resolutions: American Education Week; American Freedom Week; African-American History Month; Career and Technical Education Month; National School Counseling Week; Read Across America; Women's History Month; Fine and Performing Arts Month; Month of the Young Child; National Student Leadership Week; Teacher Appreciation Week; Administrative Professionals Week; Child Nutrition Employee Appreciation Week; National Physical Education and Sport Week; Washington Post Distinguished Educational Leader; Charles County Teacher of the Year; Employees Retirement; and Washington Post Agnes Meyer Outstanding Teacher Award.
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,800 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 35 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Dr. Patricia Vaira, Title IX Coordinator and Section 504 Coordinator (students), or Keith Hettel, Section 504 Coordinator (employees/adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, Maryland 20646; (301) 932-6610/870-3814. For special accommodations call (301) 934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.