The Charles County Board of Education has initiated its search for a new Superintendent of Schools. The superintendent search process is Charles County's first in 17 years. To help facilitate this process, the Charles County Board has contracted the services of the Maryland Association of Boards of Education (MABE), an agency that specializes in assisting Boards with the consideration of candidates for educational leadership roles.
Open forums for the community will be held at locations throughout the county to help identify the qualities and characteristics residents want for the new superintendent.
The following are the open forum times, dates and locations:
- Oct. 8 at 6:30 p.m. at Henry E. Lackey High School, 3000 Chicamuxen Road, Indian Head, Md., 20640
- Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. at Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Road, Waldorf, Md., 20601
- Oct. 9 at 6:30 p.m. at Piccowaxen Middle School, 12834 Rock Point Road, Newburg, Md., 20664
- Oct. 9 at 7 p.m. at Westlake High School, 3300 Middletown Road, Waldorf, Md., 20603
- Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. at La Plata High School (session open to the public), 6035 Radio Station Road, La Plata, Md., 20646
- What do you feel are the most positive things about Charles County and Charles County Public Schools?
- What characteristics and qualifications do you feel a superintendent should possess?
- What challenges do you think the new superintendent will face?
Individuals or groups that cannot participate in the forums are encouraged to e-mail responses to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail responses to arrive by October 10 to: Kathryn Blumsack, Maryland Association of Boards of Education, 621 Ridgley Avenue, Suite 300, Annapolis, Md., 21201.
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,800 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 35 caring community schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Dr. Patricia Vaira, Title IX Coordinator and Section 504 Coordinator (students), or Keith Hettel, Section 504 Coordinator (employees/adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, Maryland 20646; (301) 932-6610/870-3814. For special accommodations call (301) 934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.