Nearly 2,252 students are expected to graduate from Charles County Public Schools in June, and Charles County's six high schools are already planning graduation ceremonies. Ceremonies for Henry E. Lackey, La Plata, Maurice J. McDonough, Thomas Stone and Westlake high schools will be held at the Showplace Arena in Upper Marlboro on June 4 and 5. North Point High School will host graduation ceremonies in the school's gymnasium on June 5. The following is the graduation schedule for Monday, June 4:
- Westlake, 9 a.m.;
- Thomas Stone, 2 p.m.; and
- Maurice J. McDonough, 7 p.m.
The following is the graduation schedule for Tuesday, June 5:
- Lackey, 9 a.m.;
- La Plata, 2 p.m.; and
- North Point, 7 p.m.
School schedules during graduation ceremonies are as follows:
- Westlake will be closed for students on Monday, June 4;
- Thomas Stone will be closed on Monday, June 4;
- McDonough will have a two-hour early dismissal on Monday, June 4;
- La Plata will be closed for students on Tuesday, June 5;
- Lackey will be closed for students on Tuesday, June 5; and
- North Point will be closed for students on Tuesday, June 5.
The Robert D. Stethem Educational Center will be closed on Monday, June 4 for those students who access transportation to Stethem from McDonough, Westlake and Thomas Stone high schools. Stethem will be open June 4 for students who access transportation to Stethem from La Plata, Lackey and North Point high schools. Stethem will be closed on Tuesday, June 5 for students who access transportation to Stethem from La Plata, Lackey and North Point high schools. Stethem will be open for students who access transportation to Stethem from McDonough, Westlake and Thomas Stone high schools. School times adjusted, set for next school year
Charles County Public Schools is changing the start and end times for five schools. Times for Dr. Thomas L. Higdon, Mary B. Neal, J.C. Parks and Eva Turner elementary schools, and Matthew Henson Middle School are being adjusted for the 2012-13 school year. Changes take effect on August 27, 2012.
The following are the time changes for the next school year:
- Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School start and end times change to 9:10 a.m. to 3:40 p.m., which is a 10-minute change from this year.
- The new times for Mary B. Neal Elementary School are 8:15 a.m. to 2:45 p.m., which is a 15-minute change from this year.
- Hours for J.C. Parks Elementary School change to 9:05 a.m. to 3:35 p.m. This is a 20-minute change from this school year.
- Eva Turner Elementary School will start at 8:45 a.m. and end at 3:15 p.m., which is a 25-minute change.
- Matthew Henson Middle School will start at 8:30 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. This is a 15-minute change from this year.
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,700 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 35 caring community schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Dr. Patricia Vaira, Title IX Coordinator and Section 504 Coordinator (students), or Connie W. Armstead, Section 504 Coordinator (employees/adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, Maryland 20646; (301) 932-6610/870-3814. For special accommodations call (301) 934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.