Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) and the Charles County Women's Club hosted the annual Youth Art Month Show last month at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration in La Plata. Thirty-three students received awards in the show. The following students received awards:
Mildred Haack Award:
- Jasmine Wathen, Banyon Tree, Walter J. Mitchell Elementary School.
Primary, grades kindergarten through second:
- Matthew Winn, first place, Printing Practice, William A. Diggs Elementary School;
- Emily Page, second place, Winter Treasures, T.C. Martin Elementary School;
- Tristen Clark, third place, Heroics on Papyrus, Eva Turner Elementary School; and
- Ryleigh Goldsmith, honorable mention, Scarecrow Collage, Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School.
Intermediate, grades 3 -5:
- Angelina Zanakis, first place, Angelic Cat, Mary B. Neal Elementary School;
- Mary Almae Ardita, second place, Frog Forest, William B. Wade Elementary School;
- Peggy Godwin, third place, Lighthouse, Mary H. Matula Elementary School; and
- Maya Armstead, honorable mention, Poinsetta, Dr. Gustavus Brown Elementary School.
Middle school, grades 6 -8:
- Matthew Fan, first place, Pun composite, Man Made Sculpture, Piccowaxen Middle School;
- Michael Hauser, second place, Praying Mantis, Theodore G. Davis Middle School;
- Micheal Wright, third place, 2 PT Perspective City, General Smallwood Middle School; and
- Tianna Lewis, honorable mention, Love, Benjamin Stoddert Middle School.
High school, grades 9 -12:
- Kali Gregan, first place, Multifaceted, Thomas Stone High School;
- Kiran Chughtai, second place, Who I Admire, Westlake High School;
- Heidi Rottman, third place, Shades of Summer, La Plata High School;
- Morgan Tippett, honorable mention, Stop and Smell the Roses, La Plata; and
- Brianna D. Williams, honorable mention, Love Birds, North Point High School.
Photography, grades 9 -12:
- Katelyn Mayo, first place, Beauty Comes in Many Forms, Henry E. Lackey High School;
- Zachary Edelen, second place, No Point, No Lighthouse, La Plata;
- Carlysha Robertson, third place, Essence of DC, North Point; and
- Aubree Hughes, honorable mention, All Stacked Up, Stone.
3-D, grades 1 -5:
- Hailey Irvin, first place, Guatemalan Quetzal Bird Mask, Higdon;
- Shana Cavanaugh, second place, Wall Vase, Neal; and
- Amber Astacio, third place, Amberpaw Alter Ego of Amber, Indian Head Elementary School.
3-D, grades 6 -8:
- Samantha Ward, first place, Element Octochedron, Piccowaxen;
- Markeith Tibbs, second place, Grotesque Dragon, Milton M. Somers Middle School;
- Miles Smith, third place, Chocolate Dipped Strawberry, Somers; and
- Riley Breske, honorable mention, Element Octochedron, Piccowaxen.
3-D, grades 9 -12:
- Frank Thorne, first place, Green with Envy, La Plata;
- Christina Newman, second place, Midnight, La Plata;
- Kiara Whitsett, third place, Altered Book, Maurice J. McDonough High School; and
- Kayla Weber, honorable mention, Altered Book, McDonough.
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,700 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 35 caring community schools that offer a technological advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Dr. Patricia Vaira, Title IX Coordinator and Section 504 Coordinator (students), or Keith Hettel, Section 504 Coordinator (employees/adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, Maryland 20646; (301) 932-6610/870-3814. For special accommodations call (301) 934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.